Know the Risks & Protect Your Eyes
More than 36.5 million Americans have an eye disease that can lead to blindness, and the number is growing. Optique Del Mar can help you detect potentially severe eye diseases and take action while there’s still time.
Vision lost to eye diseases is often irreversible, but it’s also preventable in most cases. Regular eye exams are the early warning system that can help you prevent these problems from getting out of control.
Common Eye Diseases & Conditions
Glaucoma results from damage to the optic nerve and is the second most common cause of blindness worldwide. This damage is often caused by pressure inside the eye. Glaucoma starts by affecting peripheral vision but can eventually lead to blindness if left unmanaged.
Vision loss from glaucoma is irreversible, and it’s often the first noticeable symptom. However, eye exams can detect glaucoma before vision loss begins, giving your eye doctor a chance to control this disease and slow its progress.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a leading cause of vision loss in people older than 50. It occurs when the macula deteriorates. Since the macula controls central vision, those with AMD may struggle to read, drive, or recognize faces.
Conjunctivitis is commonly known as “pink eye” because it turns the whites of the eye pink or red. It occurs when the membrane covering the white of the eye (the conjunctiva) becomes inflamed, usually in one of the following ways:
- Viral conjunctivitis comes from viral infections and can spread by coughing, sneezing, or hand-to-eye contact. Viral conjunctivitis can make you extra-sensitive to light and may cause a yellow or white discharge from your eyes.
- Allergic conjunctivitis is caused by allergies and often comes with common cold symptoms like sneezing or a runny nose. Allergic conjunctivitis can also make your eyes burn, itch, or water more than usual. This type of conjunctivitis isn’t contagious.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis comes from contact with bacteria. Bacterial conjunctivitis is highly contagious and often causes green or yellow discharge from the eyes during sleep. This discharge can solidify overnight and make your eyelids stick together in the morning.
- Chemical conjunctivitis occurs when the eyes come into contact with chemicals, like fumes, smoke, and toxic liquids. Chemical conjunctivitis is not contagious but is an eye emergency. If your eyes have been exposed to chemicals, contact us immediately.
Various types of conjunctivitis may require different treatments, so it’s essential to be correctly diagnosed. If you think you might have conjunctivitis of any kind, contact us and let us help.
Cataracts impair vision over time by clouding the eye’s lens. Many people eventually develop cataracts as they age, but they can also be caused by other factors, including diabetes.
Diabetic Eye Disease
Eye exams are critical for identifying diabetic eye diseases before they can permanently impair your eyesight, and can also help detect diabetes in its early stages. Book an eye exam at our practice by contacting us today.
Prevent Eye Disease & Book Your Appointment Today!
Our genuine and compassionate staff use advanced technology to catch early signs of disease and provide you with personalized service. Early diagnosis and early treatment can protect you from vision loss and potential blindness. To ensure your eyes are properly cared for, visit us at Optique Del Mar for routine eye exams.
Our Location in San Diego
Our practice is located in Carmel Country Plaza in Del Mar, diagonally across from the fire station. Please keep in mind we are closed every day from 1 – 2PM for lunch.
- 5965 Village Way, Suite 205
- San Diego, CA 92130
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Our Eye Care Services
Digital Eye Strain
In a digital world, we need the right resources to ensure our eyes stay healthy and comfortable. Whether you spend your days working from a laptop or enjoy winding down in the evening in front of the TV, knowing how to give your eyes a much-needed break can keep you seeing and feeling great!
Laser Eye Surgery Consultation
If you’ve worn contact lenses or glasses for the majority of your life, you’ve probably heard of how laser eye surgery can improve your vision! We offer comprehensive consultations so you can find the answers you need. Plus, we’ll be sure to provide excellent patient care to give you the comfort of knowing your health and vision are well taken care of.
Dry Eye Therapy
Dry eyes can be uncomfortable and may even prevent you from doing your favorite activities, but it doesn’t have to stay that way! If your eyes are feeling dry and gritty, we can help. At Optique Del Mar, we provide top-quality dry eye therapy to keep your eyes feeling lubricated!