Why Do Children Need Eye Exams?
Eye health and vision problems can occur at any age, so eye exams are vital for children and adults. Taking your child for an eye exam allows their eye doctor to diagnose potentially severe problems and address them appropriately.Some childhood vision problems are easily mistaken for behavioral conditions. Children may also be unaware of their vision problems, especially if they grew up with them and have never experienced normal vision. Since 80% of all learning is visual, eye exams also help keep vision problems from affecting your child’s school performance.
When Should Children Have Eye Exams?
Our qualified eye doctors can help your family avoid the unnecessary challenges mentioned above and ensure that your children receive the care they need. Children should have a comprehensive eye exam when they are 1 year old, with additional exams as follows:
- Once at age 3
- Once before entering first grade (at age 5 or 6)
- Every year from first grade to adulthood
Children who need corrective lenses should also have eye exams once each year, or more frequently if recommended by their eye doctor.
What Takes Place During Children’s Eye Exams?
When you bring your child to us for an eye exam, we ask questions and perform tests to detect any risks to their ocular health and vision. If we discover any issues, we’ll recommend effective ways to treat or manage them.
Every children’s eye exam includes:
- Questions about their medical history (including family medical history and medication history).
- Visual acuity, refraction, and binocular vision tests.
- Tests to assess the general health of their eyes.
- Recommendations and prescriptions for required treatments or corrective lenses.
- Useful tips to help you protect your child’s ocular health and vision.
- Opportunities to raise any concerns you or your child have about their eyes.
Our Location in San Diego
Our practice is located in Carmel Country Plaza in Del Mar, diagonally across from the fire station. Please keep in mind we are closed every day from 1 – 2PM for lunch.
- 5965 Village Way, Suite 205
- San Diego, CA 92130
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Our Eye Care Services
Digital Eye Strain
In a digital world, we need the right resources to ensure our eyes stay healthy and comfortable. Whether you spend your days working from a laptop or enjoy winding down in the evening in front of the TV, knowing how to give your eyes a much-needed break can keep you seeing and feeling great!
Laser Eye Surgery Consultation
If you’ve worn contact lenses or glasses for the majority of your life, you’ve probably heard of how laser eye surgery can improve your vision! We offer comprehensive consultations so you can find the answers you need. Plus, we’ll be sure to provide excellent patient care to give you the comfort of knowing your health and vision are well taken care of.
Dry Eye Therapy
Dry eyes can be uncomfortable and may even prevent you from doing your favorite activities, but it doesn’t have to stay that way! If your eyes are feeling dry and gritty, we can help. At Optique Del Mar, we provide top-quality dry eye therapy to keep your eyes feeling lubricated!